Simply email me scans or pictures of your music theory homework for marking and feedback. Clear and detailed explanations provided and all your questions answered. Bespoke correspondence courses created for you.
- One to one tuition by email correspondence.
- Instructions and music theory exercises designed especially for you.
- Marking service and preparation for music theory exams, any examination board.
- Convenient and easy process adapted to fit your schedule and needs.
One to one tuition by correspondence.
Marking service of music theory workbooks and past exam papers, any exam board.
I am happy to guide you through ABRSM past papers and workbooks. I can also help you with any other theory books or papers of your choice, including but not limited to Trinity, LCM, RIAM and AMEB. Please note, I cannot send you free copies of any published music theory resources that are protected by copyright, including ABRSM workbooks. You will need to purchase them from music retailers. I can advise on what to buy and where from if necessary. There is a small selection of free ABRSM practice papers available for download. Trinity also provide some free music theory practice papers here.
Tailored courses with music theory exercises designed especially for you.
On initial consultation, I will discuss with you by email what your aims are, and I will carefully gauge what level of theory knowledge and understanding you have, and whether there are any gaps that may need filling in. As we progress through the course I will adjust my lessons according to what you as an individual find easy or hard.
Personal tuition, and interaction with a real person, not an app.
Sending your work to me for feedback and marking is as easy as taking a picture with your smartphone.
It doesn't matter whether you prefer to take photos of your music theory work, or use a scanner. You can send me your theory work in any format you like - JPG, PNG, and PDF are all fine. You can upload them directly into your email, or use a file sharing platform (e.g. Google Drive). If your image is upside down, sideways or un-cropped don't worry, it's not a problem. Just make sure it's legible.
Whatever your aim with music theory, I can help you.
- You want a good all round understanding of music theory.
- You just want a better understanding of how chords and harmonies work.
- You need help learning to read music notation from scratch.
- You want to take ABRSM music theory exams (or music theory exams with any other examination board).
- You are just aiming to pass your ABRSM grade 5 music theory.
- You need help with advanced theory: including harmonisations, figured bass, composition etc.
- You want to cover a more general analysis of musical styles and genres; or study music appreciation.
How it works, pricing, and what you get with each lesson.
You have the option to pay as you go, or pay for several lessons in advance if it is more convenient.
There is no subscription fee or obligation to sign up for a number of months. You can have as many or few lessons as you like, subject to availability.
- If you complete three ABRSM past papers of grades 1, 2 or 3, and you gain accuracy in the region of 80-100%, this is about the right amount of work for one week. If your level of accuracy is very low and a lot of corrections and explanations are needed, then one past paper might be sufficient.
- One or two grade 4 or 5 past papers would be sufficient.
- One grade 6 past paper.
- If you are working on grade 7 or 8 past papers, including harmonisation questions, composition questions and general analysis; about three questions would be about right.
- If you are working through the "Music Theory in Practice" book by Eric Taylor, ABRSM, grades 1 to 4; about 4 to 6 pages would be about right for one email exchange, again depending on accuracy and difficulty.
- Grade 5 to 6 music theory workbooks - roughly 3 to 4 pages.
- Grade 7 to 8 music theory workbooks - 3 questions, depending on length.
This is just a rough guide. I will aim to do an equivalent amount if you choose to follow a bespoke course, or if you choose to work through a different set of theory papers/books.
I aim to send feedback and marking within a couple of working days of receiving your work, depending on the day of the week.
Fast and effective music theory learning.
Intervals Worksheet and Model Answers
PDF download of intervals worksheet with explanation of how to work out the intervals, and a separate PDF with the model answers.
Flash Cards - Musical Word Spelling Game
PDF download. Fun note naming theory game for children to improve their music reading.
Flash Cards for Adults and Children - Note Naming
PDF download. Learn to read music, or improve your music reading skills with these flash cards for practising note naming.
Major and Minor Key Signatures Worksheet and Model Answers
PDF download. Worksheet - name the key and rewrite with key signatures instead of accidentals. Model answers sheet also included.
Flash Cards - Piano Keyboard Intervals
PDF download of flashcards for naming intervals on the piano keyboard.
Music Manuscript Staff Paper Template - Free
Free PDF download of music manuscript staff paper, two different types - portrait and landscape.
Flash Cards and Chord Chart - Roman Numeral Chords - Primary Triads in Every Major Key
Keyboard Note Naming Flash Cards - Free
Free PDF download of piano keyboard note naming flash cards.